The laundry room is an area we use very often and it is usually not the cleanest nor most organized area of the home. BetterVenting has some tips to help you organize this high traffic area to improve its functionality.
Tips to organize the laundry space:
1. EMPTY: Remove everything from the laundry space and put it aside, leaving just the washer and dryer. Start with a blank canvas.
2. TOSS: Throw out empty detergent bottles and any other unnecessary items.
3. CLEAN: Unplug both the washer and dryer and move them forward, just enough so you can vacuum behind them. Use an attachment brush and vacuum any lint that has collected on the back panel of the dryer. If you haven’t cleaned/maintained the dryer exhaust duct in the last 9-12 months, follow these instructions on removal and cleaning of the dryer exhaust duct [link to article].
With a damp rag, wipe down the back panels and outside of both appliances. Clean the inside of the washer with rag dipped in a vinegar and water solution. Wipe down all shelves, baseboards, switch plates and dust off the light fixture. Wipe the walls – you’d be surprised how much lint and dust accumulates on the walls.
4. ORGANIZE: Now it’s time to put everything back in its place. Baskets or bins add an attractive look to the space and help to keep things organized. Remember, if you haven’t used something in the last twelve months, you probably don’t need it.
5. LABELS: You can even go as far as creating labels to apply to the baskets or bins to help identify the contents at a glance.
6. CLEANING CADDY: A cleaning caddy is a terrific idea for keeping all household cleaning products in one spot.
7. DECORATE: Hang some artwork and have some fun in your laundry space!